Find Fulfillment in Volunteering
Perhaps this is one of the reasons so many retirees find such great joy in volunteering. When we leave a career, we sometimes need to find a new focus or passion in life. Having a sense of meaning and purpose is one of the major factors in aging successfully.
Volunteering in the community gives us many new opportunities, including the opportunity to:
- Help others
- Use our skills, wisdom, abilities, and knowledge in new and meaningful ways
- Enrich the lives of others
- Cultivate new social networks
- Learn new things
- Make the community and the world a better place
- Feel good about the ways we are using our time
There are volunteer opportunities all around us. Keep an open mind to new ways to help others and make a difference in your community and our world. One of the most common ways to volunteer is to read to children, even if it’s just for a few hours per week. The rewards will far outshine your expectations.