Seven Reasons to Recycle
Recycling is sort of like exercising: we all know we should do it, but not all of us do it as often as we should—and some of us don’t do it at all. However, here are seven good reasons why you should start.
- It reduces global warming.
- It makes us more energy-efficient.
- It keeps our landfills from overflowing.
- It improves the quality of our groundwater.
- It reduces air pollution.
- It creates jobs.
- It adds to property value.
One person can make a difference. Research has shown small acts of recycling make a big difference. For example, recycling just one large newspaper would save around 75,000 trees. On average, each person in the U.S. produces around 1,600 lbs. of waste each year. If you recycled all of that, you could save around 1,100 lbs. of waste per year—that’s over half a ton—just by yourself!